Cancer Survivors: Group-based
Is the HOPE course for you or the people you support?
The HOPE cancer survivors course is an interactive, group-based, self-management support course, which runs for 6 weeks, with each weekly session lasting 2.5 hours for groups of between 8 and 12 participants. The course has been developed by Coventry University and Macmillan Cancer Support.
Self-management is beneficial in many different ways. If you are the kind of person who benefits from the support of others HOPE is ideal for you. HOPE facilitators go through a training programme but more importantly they have either been personally affected by cancer or are a cancer health professional. The HOPE course provides a supportive, friendly group setting which will give you the knowledge, skills and confidence to cope with many of the frustrations, fears and sense of isolation that living with and surviving cancer can bring.
The course deals with:
- Goal setting and action planning
- Looking for solutions to problems
- Stress management (e.g. mindfulness and relaxation)
- Fatigue management
- Identifying your strengths
- Becoming more positive, grateful and appreciating life more
- Healthy lifestyles (e.g. eating more healthily and physical activity)
- Prioritising the important things in life
- Fear of cancer recurrence
- Body image and sexuality and intimacy
- Communication skills
All of these techniques have been shown through research to have a positive impact on the health and well-being of people living with and affected by cancer.
How does HOPE help?
After attending HOPE courses participants feel:
- More confident and motivated
- Less depressed and anxious
- More relaxed
- More positive about the future
- More happy
- Less tired
What do people say about the HOPE Programme?
Benefits to organisations and commissioners
When patients attend this programme, they take a more active role in managing their health which can result in fewer healthcare visits.
Are you interested in a bespoke HOPE course for the people you support? Contact us